|Historically, the area around Alaverdi was known as Manasgomer or Manits Gom during the medieval period. Starting from the 17th century, the settlement became to be known as Alaverdi .
At the end of the 19th century, the concession to exploit the mine was sold to a French firm. With the establishment of the Tbilisi-Alexandropol railway in 1899, a new copper smelter was opened in the area between Sanahin and Akori to set the foundation for a new settlement that became the residence of the smelter staff. The newly-formed settlement was called Manés, after the French engineer who was the director of the project.
It was granted the status of a town in 1938 to become the centre of Alaverdi raion. In 1963, Alaverdi was granted the status of a town of republican subordination.